by S. Pulse, Austin, Texas
With only a week left until the gates open at Zilker Park, we wanted to provide some tips to make the most out of your experience and avoid surprises.
Let’s start with planning. Perhaps the most important requirement for is this year’s festival is CLEAR BAGS ONLY. Clear bags can be no larger than 12″ x 12″ x 6″. Small clutch purses or fanny packs are allowed but cannot measure more than 4.5”x 5.5”. The other exception is hydration packs. Large purses, totes, and backpacks will not be allowed. Look under the INFO section on the ACL FEST or the app for more information.
So, what should you bring?
Again, consult the INFO section, but we recommend the following:
· An empty refillable water bottle or hydration pack is a must.There are several filling stations throughout the park.
· Personal size sunscreen (3.4 ounces or less. Only NON-AEROSOL containers permitted.)
· Personal hand sanitizer (3.4 ounces or less)
· Emergency rain poncho (weather should be good, but can be used for seating on wet grass)
· External battery phone charger and chord (sometimes you can find charging areas inside the fest)
Check out a few of our ACL Fest 2021 photo highlights.
Other pro tips include:
· Avoid arriving during the 3-5 pm rush.
· Consider using the Southern gate near Lady Bird Lake adjacent to the Mopac Bridge. It’s usually not as crowded.
· The free ACL shuttle from Republic Square gives easy access to and from the park from downtown and runs frequently.
· There will be 2 rideshare areas. Check the app for a detailed description but be aware that these areas tend to have a lengthy backlog at the end of the night and hefty surcharges (we recommend beating the big rush).
· Walking or riding your bike, if viable, is always the best option
· Pick a rendezvous spot where you can meet up with friends, should you get separated. Cell phone service can be very spotty. Map out a spot ahead of time to reunite as this can easily happen.
· Make your schedule ahead of the festival. Decide on what artists you want to see on your hit list and prioritize the MUST SEE versus NICE TO SEE. Consider the distance between stages and that the park will be much slower to navigate as the evening crowds arrive.
· Download the ACL Festival app ahead of time.
· Check out some of the killer ACL Late Night Shows around town after the fest ends each night.
Stay tuned for our artists picks and all our photos and highlights on our social channels and our site.
Check out all our past ACL Festival photos on Austin 101 Magazine.
More info about the festival and the lineup can be found on ACL Fest.